Thought I’d update you with progress on the value measures I have been making. I’ve modeled a few variations now, which are drying ready for the application of colour. You might recognise some elements from the Bygone spoon collection – twisted stems, worn edges, broken…. I’ve tried some different forms and sizes, exploring scale and proportion, and I’ve played with a couple of type faces at varying font sizes.
I think the idea is worth pursuing though there are a number of refinements to be made. I’m not happy with the shape of the bowl, generally too round (thought it works with some handle styles), I’m going to explore a more ovoid bowl form or perhaps pear shape like the apostle spoons. Also the measuring line. It’s ok indented (made by pressing an edge into the clay), but I want to see what it’s like raised. I know this seems like, and is, a small detail but I am thinking ahead to the glazing of the spoon. I want to pour glaze up to the measuring line (the glaze will subtlely change the intensity of the underlying colour and draw the eye to the measure mark) and I am thinking that a raised line will provide a better end point for the glaze. Practically, it should be easier to wipe any excess glaze from a raised line. An indented mark would probably fill with glaze, building up excess which could potentially run during subsequent firing. In anticipating and responding to these potential problems I am hoping to avoid later time consuming and costly disappointments. I’ve also been making some measuring cups based on some old metal scoops I have. Not sure about the handles yet though!
I suppose this is how an idea develops, considering and refining, reacting to problems and improving. Of course few people would probably notice these things, other makers perhaps (once developed, a keen eye rarely misses). But I just need to feel that whatever I put out there is as good as I can make it. As a sole maker you must be your own quality control no-one else has the same vested interest in your work! Sharon